Fad fashion designers come and go – but the best fashion designers become legends in their own time. Take for instance Oscar de La Renta, Gucci, Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Coco Chanel, Giorgio Armani, Tom Ford, Donna Karan, Donatella & Gianni Versace, Pierre Cardin, Diane von Furstenberg, Vera Wang, Jimmy Choo, Christian Dior, Ralph Lauren and so many others who steal the show year after year on the fashion show circuit. Some of their originals and one-of-a-kind designs call for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Question is: What make them different?
World renowned fashion designers have several things in common:
- They are visionaries – they are inspired by the smallest of details
- Their designers are visionaries
- They are confident in their successes
- They don’t worry their fails
- They like to push the envelope with their new ideas and creations
- They are not concerned about pleasing the masses
- They capture niche markets with their designs
- They test the waters with new, sometimes outlandish creations
- They brand themselves for a certain look and feel
- Their creations don’t just stand out – they impress
Catering to the elite, they create designs for trending celebrities, First Ladies, wedding gowns for Princesses all over world, and others that fall into the Rich and Famous categories. They have earned their titles as The Best Designer in their categories by being vain about their designs.
Here are some famous quotes from some of the top designers that give insight to their personalities:
“I don’t do fashion. I am fashion.” —Coco Chanel
“When in doubt, wear red.” —Bill Blass
“Fashions fade, style is eternal.” —Yves Saint Laurent
“Fashion is what you’re offered four times a year by designers. And style is what you choose.” —Lauren Hutton
“Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” —Rachel Zoe
“We must never confuse elegance with snobbery.” —Yves Saint Laurent
“Playing dress-up begins at age five and never truly ends.” —Kate Spade
“Elegance is not standing out, but being remembered.” —Giorgio Armani