18 Best It Gucci Bags Worth the Investment
Gucci is one of the most renowned Italian fashion houses and, thanks to its new creative director Alessandro Michele, one of the most popular and appreciated worldwide, too. Gucci’s sales are jaw-droppingly increasing month after month, and we could fairly state that purchasing a Gucci item, whether it is a Gucci bag or a t-shirt, is definitely worth the investment.
Fashion-wise, the best Gucci investment is, however, probably one of the many iconic Gucci bags, purses, backpacks, and clutches, since the fashion house shares a long history of must-have it-bags and accessories in general.
The History of Gucci Bags
Born in Florence in 1881, Gucci’s founder Guccio Gucci was always interested in accessories, especially when crafted out of the finest Italian leather. Suitcases were, in fact, one of Guccio Gucci’s first accessories, with son Aldo Gucci following in the footsteps of his father producing handbags in Gucci’s first iconic store at Via Condotti in Rome after World War II.
Here it was also where and when the first, legendary bamboo-handled Gucci bag, which was inspired by the shape of a saddle, is thought to have been produced. Like in the Forties, each Gucci bag is still meticulously handcrafted, with a lot of attention to details (the Gucci Bamboo bag, for instance, takes up to 13 hours from one single artisan to be made!)
The bamboo-handled Gucci bag was a pivotal milestone for the fashion house, as it was specifically thanks to the handbags in general that the renowned Italian label gained its status symbol of a fashion must-have, which is why every fashionista’s dream owned a Gucci Bamboo Bag during the Fifties and Sixties.
Prominent celebrities were proudly channeling Gucci bags during those decades, ultimately boosting Gucci’s notoriousness and making it the industry’s most visionary fashion house.
RELATED: 11 Most Quirky Designer Handbags
RELATED: Iconic Handbags Worth The Investment
18 Best Gucci Bags of All Time
Since Gucci’s legacy is inherently linked to the success of its accessory lines (Gucci belts included), as it happened with Chanel’s, we decided to compile a list of the best Gucci bags worth the investment as a way to both celebrate the house, and figure out what purse to buy next!
1. Gucci Bamboo Bag
The story behind Gucci’s Bamboo Bag is definitely worth reading, whether one is a fashion enthusiast or not. As we mentioned before, this legendary Gucci bag was inspired by the shape of a saddle, which is something that is already quite unconventional per se. The most interesting thing about this bag is its material.
When the Gucci Bamboo bag was designed, wartime rations were making it difficult to find the finest materials to craft any day-to-day item, let alone unnecessary high-end items such as bags. Guccio Gucci’s craftsmen, however, came up with the revolutionary idea of a bag design that could be manufactured not with leather but rather with heated bamboo, a material that could be easily imported from Japan.
Exotic, one-of-a-kind and easy to handle, Gucci’s Bamboo bag was an inevitable success that is definitely still worth the investment nowadays, so get one for you!
2. Queen Margaret
Available in different models, the Gucci Queen Margaret line is probably one of the ultimate must-have Gucci bags among fashionistas. Trapped between the old and the new; Gucci’s Queen Margaret bags mix iconic Gucci details with the fashion house’s newest signature style, which often draws inspiration from Romanticism.
The bag’s memorable bamboo handle has been upgraded with a crystal and pearl-encrusted bee closure, which is thought to symbolize wisdom and love. As if Gucci’s message of love wasn’t strong enough, each Queen Margaret bag even features an ID holder attached with the word “Loved” embossed in gold.
3. GG Marmont
News that Alessandro Michele’s aim was bringing the logo back already hit the headlines a few months ago, so what better way to embrace the Gucci creative director’s fashion visions than investing in a Gucci GG Marmont bag?
Available in a plethora of models, from Gucci backpacks to belt bags, the Gucci GG Marmont is this year’s it-bag and has already received the stamp of approval from celebrities and it-girls, such as Sienna Miller who has been spotted wearing a GG Marmont basically everywhere recently.
Like the Queen Margaret bag, this Gucci bag also combines the best of Gucci’s worlds, i.e. the new and the old, with Gucci’s iconic symbol; the GG design buckle, that comes mixed with Alessandro Michele’s new designs, adornments, and structures. Pick your favorite style of the Gucci GG Marmont Bag!
4. Jackie Bag
Here we introduce a Gucci classic selection. Relaunched in 2009 inspired by the previous design; the “New” Gucci Jackie bag is as timeless and evergreen as modern and fancy.
Utterly elegant in its structure yet roomy enough to carry everything we might need during the day; this Gucci bag was named after icon Jackie Kennedy who was spotted wearing an unnamed Gucci bag in 1961 that soon after became an inevitable it-item everyone wanted to have. This is one of the best Gucci bags worth the investment that you can pick.
5. Dionysus – A Bag Inspired By A Myth
Although being one of Gucci’s latest bag addictions; the Dionysus already a must-have. Inspired by Dionysus, son of Zeus, who transformed himself into a tiger to carry a nymph across the river (which then became the Tigris River); Gucci’s Dionysus bag carries this myth in its structure, which is embellished with gorgeous hand-embroidered bees and flowers.
Like the Queen Margaret bag, this Gucci bag combines the new and the old together and so, if you like “anachronistic” fashion items, it might be your best investment, indeed! You’ll have a hard time choosing from the different styles of this iconic Gucci bag.
6. Sylvie Bag
One of Gucci’s latest additions; the Gucci Sylvie bag a classic model with a top handle that features a nylon web embedded under the Gucci signature leather (that is where its name comes from). Inlaid with iconic leather flames, we could regard the Gucci Sylvie bag as the accessory personification of Alessandro Michele, as everything from its structure to decorations exudes the designer’s visionary vibes. You have seven colors to choose from.
7. Padlock GG Supreme
When Gucci debuted the Sylvie Bag back in 2016, everyone ran amok, with the bag flying off the shelves within minutes. The same can be said about the Gucci Padlock GG Supreme bag that’s real arm candy; coming in different colors and with jaw-dropping embellishments. It easily changes from a top handle to a shoulder bag thanks to the chain strap it features.
The Gucci Padlock bag is one of the best designer bags to invest in for those who like small bags that rather accessorize a look that can carry many things.
8. Gucci Nymphaea Top Handle Bag
Inspired by water lilies, the Gucci Nymphaea bag is yet another model featuring top bamboo handles and a sleek timeless design that can instantly take your elegant looks to the next level. Soft black and light pink leather in monochrome designs are options that will never get outdated, while the printed model adds a signature touch to your day-to-day outfits. This is one of the classic Gucci bags you can pick.
9. Gucci Lilith
Much in the same spirit of mythology, the Gucci Lilith is perhaps one of the boldest Gucci bags, combining sophistication with the wild snake embellishment. The smooth black or white leather comes embellished with the textured snakeskin finish, while the whimsical bow and the bamboo top handles create a mesmerizing contrast, altogether making the bag a real eye candy. What’s not to love? You can pick this ultimate treasure in two color options.
10. Ophidia Shoulder Bag
Designed to recall the fashion house’s glorious Seventies; Gucci’s Ophidia shoulder bags feature almost any material and embellishment to perfectly embody the wearer’s authentic personal style. You’ll find them with embroidered dragons, cracked-leather effects, and of course logo prints. But its classic (and most requested) version remains that in suede with the signature Web stripes. It is definitely a go-to Gucci bag for anyone who loves collecting vintage-style staples!
11. Gucci Ophidia GG Supreme Belt Bag
Although being part of the Ophidia family, Gucci’s Ophidia belt bag has its own unique personality; with its overall style being incomparable with any of its “relatives.” Available in three different styles, Ophidia’s belt bag wrapped around many waists these days; with the entire fanny pack craze going on. If you got yourself a trench coat or are looking for ways of elevating your day-to-day casual look; any Ophidia Supreme belt bag would easily complement it!
12. Gucci Re(Belle) Top Handle Tote
With a strong texture and a softly structured figure, Gucci’s Re (Belle) handle tote is the perfect mix of urban styles and Western inspirations. One of the more spacious Gucci bags, it is basically a win-win choice perfect for carrying for any occasion. Revisited through various lenses, both with leather and suede fabrics, any Gucci Re (Belle) bag exudes the right amount of iconic glamour to keep our looks unrivaled wherever we go.
13. Guccy Mini Shoulder Bag
Not Gucci, but Guccy! Inspired by the Eighties and the geek video gaming culture; Gucci’s Guccy shoulder bag made its debut during the house’s spring/ summer 2018 collection presentation. And features a signature SEGA-like logo on the front. You can find it in a plethora of sizes and, above all, designs, but as for now; the black or white mini versions appear to be the most acclaimed.
Even though Gucci’s Guccy bag is fairly new in the it-bag world, don’t underestimate its potential! Its future is actually shinier than what someone may ever think. So be the first to carry it around picking your favorite color now!
14. Gucci Totem Top Handle Bag
Look who came from Gucci’s Garden! Butterflies have always been a recurring leitmotif at Gucci. And Alessandro Michele emphasized it even more with a metal butterfly emblem encrusted on one of the label’s cutest Gucci bags ever.
Like many other it-bags; Gucci Totem comes in a great variety of sizes and finishes, too. But it is with the medium top handle that Gucci found its biggest success. If you are looking for a totally classic style that features just a little bit of innovation; the Gucci Totem top handle bag is definitely going to be your new BBF.
15. Gucci Ottilia Top Handle Bag
For more touches of innovation embellished on iconic styles, we recommend considering Gucci’s Ottilia top handle bag. Its debut made during the label’s fall 2017 runway show and the benediction into the fashion world came soon after. Printed with insects, ladybugs, beetles, and of course butterflies; Gucci’s Ottilia is 70% into Gucci’s maximalism, 30% into Italian-approved all-time classic minimalism.
16. Gucci Broadway Leather Bag
When it comes to finding an iconic piece; (or even more than one, depending on what sizes you’d like to invest in) that’s 90% Broadway-approved; (with the remaining part being, of course, dipped in Gucci’s aesthetics). We can’t help but fall in love with Gucci’s Broadway leather mini bag; which was taken by the label’s archives and reintroduced with its fierceness, bee detailing, and pearl attachments in the fall/ winter 2015 collection. Whether you are a theatre lover or like attending cocktail parties, this opulent bag is for you!
17. Gucci Frame Print Bag
Structured and intricately framed with a braided pattern and encrusted with a feline detail; Gucci’s frame top handle bag features a detachable chain strap, too; meaning that playing with different styles is even easier with this one.
Bold and not for the faint of heart; Gucci’s Frame has the size of a pocket-sized book (as it was inspired by Jane Austen’s “Juvenilia” compilation of short stories) and just as full of personality as one may expect. If you like to have fun; express yourself through fashion, and invest in top Gucci bags, well, you now know where to go!
18. Gucci Nymphaea Leather Top Handle Bag
Last but not least, here we are with Gucci’s epitome of minimalism. Versatile and revitalized with (summary) bamboo handles and pearl detailing; (which refers to the myth surrounding the pearls of the Nymphaea genus); Gucci’s Nymphaea looks and feels soft and elegant, with its rich colors accentuating its contemporary classic structure even more. Probably not one of the most eccentric, this one is definitely the dreamiest!
How to Spot Replica Gucci Handbags
Gucci Brand is one of the industry’s leading brands, renowned for its quality and world-class craftsmanship. Their attention to detail is extremely meticulous, and their choice of materials is highly selective. Although the market is flooded with replica Gucci handbags, the ability to identify real from replica lies in these details.
Replica Gucci handbags are undoubtedly one of the hardest brands to identify. They don’t have the extensive authenticity features that many of the other top designer brands provide, and their styles are relatively simple and elegant.
How to Spot Fake Gucci Handbags
Consider four key areas when authenticating a Gucci purse: price, materials, craftsmanship, and seller.
- When buying a Gucci bag, be ready to spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars for the real thing. Most new Gucci handbags start in the five hundred and go well into the thousands of dollars.
- Browse the internet and find a number of reliable sources to establish a price range for the specific bag you’re researching. There shouldn’t be a large price difference. Any bags that are priced observably lower than your established price range are most like replica Gucci handbags. The quality materials and hours of highly skilled labor that go into every piece prevent it from dropping below a minimum price. Anything being offered below your price range was made with inferior materials and labor.
- Gucci purses are always made of high-quality leathers and fabrics. When examining a purse, pay close attention to the color. Gucci knock-offs have been known to look faded when compared to the rich leathers of the authentic versions.
- Take a hard look at the logo. Replica Gucci handbags often have what looks like a “C” or “E” logo that looks very similar to the Gucci “G” logo. A good place to check is in the lining. Replicators often give the bag’s interior less attention and are a good place to spot their sloppiness.
- One of the most popular Gucci handbags is the dual G or “GG” logo bag. There are a few variations of the logo, so research your model thoroughly so you know what should be and what shouldn’t. Many imitators attempt to replicate the “GG”, but often just don’t have the correct logo design. Nevertheless, there are some savvy replica manufacturers that are catching on, so analyze the real “GG” logo and make sure it matches the one on the bag you want to buy.
- Do your research. Check out the Gucci website that has some great zoom-ins with images of the item’s finer details. The study features the threads, colors, cut, and any prominent accents. Knowing what the bag has, what it looks like, and where it belongs is a perfect reference point for you when you’re authenticating a purse you want to buy elsewhere. Other approved sites include Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale, and Macy’s.
- Most, but not all, authentic Gucci handbags have their logos exclusively on the interior lining. The level of detail in the pattern is so exquisite, that this is a feature even the best replica Gucci handbags fall short on. Get vivid, up-close pictures of this lining from the seller so you can make a good evaluation.
- If the logo is on leather, regardless of whether it’s inside or out, it should be engraved and not simply printed.
- Gucci prides itself on precision workmanship. Their stitching flawless, always exactly aligned with the seams, straight, evenly spaced; tight, and has a high stitch count per inch. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a single stitch out of line; the length of the stitches consistent all over the bag and the stitch color always matches the rest of the purse.
- All authentic Gucci handbags have perfectly cut leather. This is especially noticeable around more detailed features such as the inside zipper pockets, joints, and buckles.
- Gucci hardware usually consists of brass and nickel. It should give off a nice luster rather than a brilliant shine. Replica Gucci handbags have cheap metals or even plastic parts that give off a polished, shiny reflection. These artificial parts are light and breakable. When you hold a solid brass buckle, you’ll feel both the weight and strength. Brass and nickel are quite heavy for their size because of their high density. It’s this high density that makes them almost unbreakable.
- The lining usually made from fine satin that gives off a nice shine. Remember to examine the logo on the lining. Watch for the perfect “G”. Many replica Gucci handbags fall short here.
- Gucci purses have a date card (Controllato); something the bag receives once it passed the quality control test. Look for correct font and placement. Gucci uses the same font on all of its date cards. Authentic date cards have the GUCCI name spelled out in capitals centered at the top with the word “Controllato” directly beneath it. Under that, the numbers 1234567890 should be displayed. Unfortunately, many forgers have caught on to Gucci’s authenticity features and have begun to copy them quite efficiently. Don’t rely exclusively on such things as date cards or serial numbers. Many replica Gucci handbags come with perfect date cards, serial tags, and even dust bags.
- Serial tags are located inside, just below the interior pocket, usually on a square leather patch. If your bag doesn’t have an inside pocket, don’t freak out! Not all Gucci purses have those pockets. It should have an encircled R with the words “GUCCI” and “Made in Italy”. Beneath that, it’ll have a 4 – 6 digit serial number (we haven’t come across any serial numbers beginning with either a 0 or a 1 yet) stamped into the leather.
- Gucci purses and handbags are all handmade in Italy.
- When purchasing Gucci handbags online, purchase from a reputable dealer.
- If you see that a seller or retailer using stock photos (cut and paste pictures from the Gucci website); insist the seller provides you with pictures of the actual item for sale. Request large, clear pictures that include the interior lining logo, up-close stitching, and hardware. Ask for several of each and watch out for blurry pictures.