How To Apply Mascara Like A Pro
Mascara is the secret if running late but still want to look like you’ve put in some effort. On the days when you feel like pressed for time to put on any makeup; you go for nude lip color and mascara. This is extremely simple to throw together. Mascara makes your eyes look brighter and full of life, and the lip color adds a little color to your face. You can even do this on the way to your destination! All you need is half a minute or so and you will look put together!
And even when you’re going all out on your makeup, the final touches with mascara will complete your look. At the same time, an improper application can ruin your look. If your mascara is clumpy, uneven, or smudged – it may end up looking appalling rather than appealing. To avoid this, read on.
Before we head over to talk about the actual mascara application process, let’s take a look at the products you will need to apply mascara like a pro.
RELATED: Top 25 Eye Makeup Tips For Beginners
You Will Need
- Your favorite mascara
- Primer for the eyes
- Eyeshadow (of your choice)
- Clean mascara wand
- Lash curler
There a few things that can be followed before applying mascara if you’re looking to achieving the full look.
Steps To Be Followed Before Applying Mascara
Step 1: Picking The Right One
Before doing anything else, you will have to find a mascara that is suitable for you. There is a variety to choose from, so take your time to research and understand what you are looking for in a mascara. These could be the determining factors to be considered:
- Color: Even in mascaras, there are different colors so find the one which suits you best. The popular option is black since this tends to open up your eyes more and makes them look bright. However, if you have blonde hair, then brown mascara will make it less ostentatious.
- Consistency: What exactly are you looking for in a mascara? To lengthen? To volumize? There are so many different options to choose from, and there is a possibility that you might get confused. Stop for a second to take a moment to think about what exactly you want and then shop accordingly.
- Waterproof: Another important determining factor to consider is if you are around water or are prone to excessive sweating. Or even if you are just looking for something to really stay all day! Make sure to invest in good makeup remover which is gentle on the eyes because the waterproof mascaras require some work to get off.
We Recommend: Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes
Get more information about the best mascaras here.
Step 2: Prep and Prime
- It is necessary to prep your eyes before you begin your makeup application. Always start off with cleansed eyes. Oil or grime can ruin your look, even before you have begun. So make sure to remove all traces of old makeup, and follow up with a toner and a moisturizer.
- An eyeshadow primer is really important, for it creates a base for your makeup and ensures that your eyeshadow lasts long and stays crease-free. So after moisturizing, apply a primer to your eyelids.
Step 3: Eyeshadow
Step 4: Liner
Now that you’ve applied the eyeshadow use an eyeliner to line your eyes the way you like. You may decide to draw a thick or thin line. This totally depends on your preference as well as the kind of look that you are going for.
Well, those were the steps required to prep yourself before getting to the actual mascara.
How To Apply Mascara Perfectly?
Here comes the step by step procedure on how to put on mascara perfectly:
Step 1: Curl Your Lashes
Now comes the mascara part. It is necessary to choose the right kind of mascara for the kind of look you are going for. Daytime to evening – there is a mascara that goes with just about any occasion.
Start by curling your lashes with a lash curler. Place the curler at the base of your upper lashes, close the curler, and hold it in place for a few seconds.
Step 2: Get The Product On The Wand
Taking the tube of mascara, swirl the wand around to coat the bristles with the mascara properly. Make sure you’re not pumping your wand into the tube repeatedly. This pushes air into the tube and makes the mascara clumpy, and it dries out faster.
Step 3: Coat Your Lashes!
Starting at the roots, apply the mascara with a wriggling motion. This ensures that there is more volume at the roots, and your lashes don’t feel weighed down.
Step 4: Do the same for the lower lashes.
Since they tend to be sparser and smaller; you might even opt for an altogether different mascara, or switch over to a wand that has smaller bristles.
Step 5: Brush Out The Clumps
If you have lashes that are sticking together or have clumps of mascara on them, you can comb them out with the help of a clean wand.
Step 6: Second Coat
Repeat the mascara application by applying another coat. This depends on the volume you wish to add to your lashes.
Step 7: Curl Again If Required
Let the mascara dry for a few minutes. Now use the lash curler again, for added curling. This step is optional. You can go for it if you are not satisfied with the volume the mascara gives you.
Mascara Application Tips:
- The best way to get those curly lashes is to curl your lashes once before applying mascara and once after the mascara has dried. It is hands-down, the most impactful way to make them legit long and fluttery fringe. To make lashes look extra thick, it’s best to dab and puffs the lashes with translucent powder before applying the mascara.
RELATED: 15 Best Eyelash Growth Serums 2020
- It’s best not to coat the mascara brush in a pumping action since it allows the air to flow into the tube and along with it airborne bacteria into the tube. Coat the wand in one go and apply, first in a downward motion the top lashes by keeping your eyes closed and then open them and coat in one direction from left to right and then from right to left. For the lower lashes do a zig-zag motion from right to left and then left to right. To prevent further clumps, wipe off that excess mascara on a tissue paper.
- For most of us applying a single coat of mascara is our only move. But you can add that extra “oomph” by wiggling it. Yes, open your eyes wide and wiggle your top lashes’ tip with a mascara. Remember, only the top and not to the whole of lashes. Let it dry completely. Once done, wiggle your mascara through the entire body of the lashes—that is from the roots to the tip of your lashes. The extra mascara at the tips lifts your lashes outward and lengthens them, which adds on to the glamor of your eyes. A well-defined base, what else do we need?
RELATED: 12 Best Waterproof Mascaras 2020
- Another way to apply mascara is by closing your eyes and holding it tight at one corner; (just like when you are applying eyeliner.) Now take the mascara and pull it outward from the down lashes. Thereafter open your eyes and carefully apply mascara from bottom to the top lashes. Now go for another round (for that fluttering look, always coat your lashes thrice) and apply it in a zig-zag motion. Once done, keep eyes closed for at least 15 to 30 seconds and let your mascara dry up. For those sexy, super-defined look, comb your lashes to get rid of clumps.
- If, on the other hand, you’re going for a trendy eye look, our favorite too, then opt for the colored mascaras; we’re talking greens, purples, orange and wine reds — a bit tricky to pull off but once done, it looks gorgeous. In case you have decided to rock this look, just swipe on your blue mascara and then apply a strip of dark falsies on top — you can skip your smokey eyes effect
How To Apply Mascara
When you run late you don’t usually have time to do much makeup. Always carry lip colors, eyeliner, and mascara in your bag just in case (lazy girl hacks for you right here). Trust me; this makes a lot of difference! It really helped to open up eyes and make them look made up with minimal effort. The trick here is mascara! Well, now you know how to apply mascara like a pro, why don’t you go ahead and bat those eyelashes!