Pearls are making a Comeback!
Traditional views of pearls as old-fashioned jewelry are changing and numerous brands are reinventing pearls for young, modern women. No longer relegated to your grandmother’s closet, pearls are coming back into fashion in a big way, replacing diamonds as a staple among fashionistas worldwide thanks to the influence of celebrities like Katy Perry, Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson and Keira Knightly, who pair pearls with sophisticated attire to create a modern, classic look. The patronage of these glamorous icons is introducing pearls to a new generation of consumer, which have been gaining in status while #pearl wearers become younger.
Jean Ghika, Head of Jewelry in the UK and Europe of Bonhams, notes: “Pearls were once seen as a bit dated – perhaps the preserve of an older generation, but we’ve seen a complete change in how they are viewed. A younger fashion set is now completely at home wearing classic pearl earrings, and you’re as likely to see them in nightclubs and premieres as you are at Ascot or the Epsom Derby.”
Additionally, high-quality natural pearls are now hitting record prices at auction because of their increasing rarity due to over-fishing and pollution. Pearls that have some age or were part of a historic collection are particularly appealing to potential buyers.
Pearl strands are being used on everything from wedding cakes and vintage-inspired wedding gowns to casual daily office wear.
Nothing brings a touch of elegance to your outfit than a strand of pearls or a pair of pearl earrings. Many people save their pearls to wear with their favorite little black dress or pant suit. But once you know how to wear pearls with jeans, you’ll find yourself wearing them more often.
How to Wear Pearls with Jeans
Pearls have been the jewelry accessory of choice for hundreds of years. Just imagine your favorite historical woman and chances are she was draped with pearls and NOW, the latest fashion trend is pairing your pearls with a casual outfit like jeans.
- If you are pairing pearls with a simple outfit like a pair of skinny jeans and a black shirt, you can make a dramatic statement by choosing a double strand of pearls that falls mid décolleté to draw attention without overwhelming.
- If your outfit is more colorful like a sundress or patterned or textured top, choose a single strand pearl necklace instead.
- Your pearls really should take center stage in your outfit so be cautious when pairing them with other jewelry especially those pieces that are flamboyant. If you choose a pair of pearl earrings, you really only need a simple gold chain for a necklace.
- Think outside the box. You can wear a pearl necklace as a bracelet, use it to accessorize a swept up hairdo or be creative and knot a long pearl necklace to make it shorter.
- Don’t feel limited. Pearls work just as well with dressy black jeans, heels and a silk blouse as they do with cut offs and a casual t-shirt. Create your own look.
- Experiment with different styles. Pearl necklaces are available as a collar, choker, in princess length, matinee length, opera length or as a rope or lariat. Try wearing more than one at the same time.