2021 Living Room Trends- Modern Design Ideas, Colors, And Styles
When developing a design project for the interior of a house, the living room is often given a significant part of the time. Indeed, this particular room is not only the largest and most visited but also has a special aura. Here we relax after a busy day, meet guests and spend time with loved ones. That is why we strive to achieve an impeccable and as relevant as possible decoration of the living room.
The design trends proposed for 2021 do not diminish the importance of this room in the interior as a whole. Moreover, the world’s difficult situation encourages us to spend as much time as possible at home, which means that the time has come to get down to creating a psychologically and aesthetically comfortable environment for you. You can start right now: all the living room trends for 2021 have already been formed.
Top 5 Living Room Design Trends & Ideas for 2021
Comfort, closeness to nature, naturalness and ergonomics, individuality, and absolute superiority of color – on the eve of 2021, designers propose to combine personal ideas about the ideal living room with the harmony of simple lines and shapes. The large interior exhibitions held in 2020 made it possible to draw up a relatively clear list of trends, among which five of the most important stand out.
Maximum Open Space And Minimum Complex Configurations
Today, the living room is designed to inspire – this is achieved thanks to the concept of the most open, unlimited area. According to the designers, it is in this room that the ability to look at the familiar from different angles should be formed, and there should be several cozy locations in the living room. Such a concept allows you to make the interior fun and versatile and opens up new opportunities for the most exciting zoning options.
So that nothing interferes with the amazing feeling of flight and freedom, the designers suggest using the following solutions:
- Smooth cabinet fronts. The absence of unnecessary details like handles and volumetric decor significantly saves space and creates a sense of space’s integrity. However, this can hardly be a problem: today, manufacturers offer a lot of minimalistic design furniture for those who are inspired by spaciousness.
- Reflective surfaces and details. It is unnecessary to resort to frank gloss, which is already losing ground – but unobtrusively polished wood and the quiet glow of metallic accents will create the desired optical effect.
- Thoughtful zoning. Even if, for the sake of increasing the living room area, you combined it with the kitchen, and now you need to designate each of them; use the most ergonomic and modern solutions such as sliding partitions, special furniture arrangement, or light zoning. The same applies to cases when you have to equip a corner in the room for a home office or two relaxation zones.
New Technologies – Within The Framework Of The “Smart Home” Concept
Whatever interior style you choose for the living room – neoclassical, art deco, modern, Scandinavian or ultra-fashionable loft – in any of them, there is a place for modern high-tech solutions that can make your stay in the living room even more comfortable. For 2021, designers have already offered a lot of interesting things – we will give you just a few examples:
- Recliner sofas and armchairs. The new generation of functional upholstered furniture will offer owners many of the most comfortable options – from adjusting the backrest, footrests, and armrests to audio speakers and mobile phone chargers built into a sofa or armchair.
- Climate control systems. As the designers assure, such solutions can be called a must-have of any modern interior. Such systems successfully regulate the level of humidity and temperature, providing a comfortable environment – for the living room, where the family spends the most time, this is especially important.
- Smart lighting. Controlling lighting from a smartphone is the dream of everyone who, sitting on a comfortable sofa with all the amenities, is ready to do anything not to leave it again. Modern technologies allow you to adjust the lamps’ temperature and brightness and, if necessary, make them more muted or intense.
- Smart speaker. A gadget capable of coping with various tasks – from turning on the alarm clock and music to controlling a kettle and a robot vacuum cleaner – will make being in the living room as pleasant and relaxing as possible.
Ergonomics At The Top Level
In the modern living room of 2021, coziness and competent organization of space go hand in hand. Even if the area of the room allows you to install furniture of impressive volumes and not worry too much about saving space, then in this case, you will surely appreciate the most extraordinary and balanced solutions:
- Folding dressing tables and stylish hinged consoles;
- Tables built into sofas;
- Hinged TV-zone decoration systems;
- Storage systems built-in and hidden behind sliding partitions.
Today the concept of “everything at hand” is becoming the most promising in living room design. The interior specialists pay more and more attention to the placement and choice of the environment that provides maximum comfort for everyone in the room.
Natural Materials Are An Absolute Priority
The fact that in 2021, the designers again relied on natural textures is not surprising – over the past few years, they have not lost their relevance at all. It remains only to decide on the most trending options for processing natural materials – and interior experts have already described the four most popular ones:
- Wood. The natural texture of wood remains relevant for any interior – only shades and processing options change. In 2021, look at aged and stained wood and untreated wood and material with a brushed effect.
- Metal. Depending on the style you choose, you can safely use copper, brushed brass, and gold, as well as steel and chrome. The primary condition is consistency and sufficiency.
- Stone. The texture of stone in the living room’s interior is a minimum of gloss, maximum preference for matte, satin, and lapped surfaces, and expressive drawings. In addition to natural stone, you can use large-format porcelain stoneware, and in terms of shade and texture, give preference to marble, travertine, and onyx.
- Glass. In the living room, as in other rooms, the use of transparent glass will be a win-win option – however, if necessary, it is quite possible to dilute the interior with a small amount of colored and matte material.
The answer to which styles can be called the most trending for decorating a living room’s interior is concise and categorical: none of the existing ones. Even despite the ubiquitous minimalism and the general tendency towards laconicism, it should be noted that such concepts are gradually becoming softer and more democratic. As for 2021, here we can note a clear and very encouraging transition from strict stylistic unity to charming eclecticism.
The opportunity to express your individuality and taste, the desire for experimentation, unexpected combinations, charming contrasts – by mixing features and techniques from various directions in design, you will create a truly lively, exclusive, and fashionable living room interior. Whether it will be a combination of art deco and loft or a union of frenches country, Scandinavian and modern – it’s up to you.
Top 5 Living Room Paint Colors for 2021
The trend towards painting the walls in the living room remains one of the most in-demand for several seasons – and it seems that no changes are expected in 2021. It remains only to decide on the most suitable color. Still, here, too, there were assistants for those who follow 2021 color trends in design: Behr, a trendsetter in the field of coloristic, has already presented a palette that is relevant for 2021, in which the five most popular color schemes are clearly traced.
RELATED: How Room Color Affects Your Mood
Most of the Behr fashion palette is made up of shades in the beige range. Hardly anyone will object to this calm and warm pacifying scale, gentle and noble at the same time. Moreover, here you will find a wide variety of tones:
- Almond is pleasant to the eyes, relaxing and slightly mysterious, friendly to both warm and cold tones.
- Smoky beige, the color called “seaside villa”, demonstrates the sophisticated ease of pinks in understated neutrality.
- Dusty dark beige – the shade of dust lying in the canyons enchants with indescribable depth and naturalness.
Behr does not offer too many green shades; however, you can find something beautiful for yourself. This time, the designers propose to adopt cooler and calmer shades with notes of morning fog and lake surface on a cloudy day.
- Bluish-green is calm and, at the same time, a sophisticated and refreshing shade that can highlight the elegant ease of the living room interior in the most beneficial way.
- Mint is a soothing and charming color, equally organic in a vintage or retro interior and a Scandinavian-inspired living room.
- Sage – a light green color, diluted with gray tones, will remarkably emphasize the sophistication of neoclassicism and the natural calmness of a modern interior. And it will become an excellent background for textured accessories.
- Intense dark green – the color included in the Behr palette under the name “Royal Orchid”; combines depth and lightness, juiciness and coolness, thereby reconciling contrasts and bringing natural textures to a common denominator.
Blue is relaxing, calming, and stress-relieving. It is not surprising that there are so many of its shades in the fashionable palette for painting walls – just check out some of them:
- Pastel blue – the color called Dayflower attracts with its purity and magic of a summer sky on a sultry afternoon and excellent compatibility with both dark and light shades.
- Navy blue is one of the most mysterious and paradoxical shades, combining freshness and naturalness with elegance and nobility.
- Denim is a very controversial and rather daring tone that can make the interior of the living room truly avant-garde, but without going beyond the usual comfort;
- Caribbean Blue is a delightful turquoise shade created for those who want to dilute everyday life’s usual severity with bright colors.
Do not think that painting the living room walls brown is a risky decision. According to Behr colorists, it’s all about choosing the right tone. In 2021, you should take a closer look at the most extraordinary options – the color of maple syrup and sands in the Kalahari Desert, mocha and light coffee, as well as bright and luxurious matte gold and saffron.
An amazingly charismatic shade on the verge between wine and purple has become practically the only bright splash in a relatively calm and close-to-natural palette for 2021. At the same time, the magic of purple is unconditional and multifaceted: it is equally suitable for background painting of walls, and for decorating panels and skirting boards, and for combinations with light furniture, and mixes with dark decor.
However, it is worth mentioning other shades that have become key for 2021. First of all, it is a neutral and ambiguous smoky white, which becomes an excellent partner for the entire palette and allows you not to puzzle over which wall color to choose for one or furniture and accessories. Another 2021 find is unusual variations in gray tones. The color of wood that has darkened with time and an exotic gray-green called “jojoba” will inspire the search for new contrasting details.
Living Room Wallpaper Trends 2021
Despite the popularity of perfectly flat, monochrome walls; wallpaper remains the focus of attention for fans of expressive and cozy textures. The designers have paid a lot of attention to the development of the most fashionable wallpapers for the living room. And offer much unexpected and at the same time mesmerizing solutions:
- Floral prints. This time it is worth giving preference to tropical motives – the main thing is that the drawing is large enough.
- Ultra-thin geometric patterns. There is something especially fascinating in the graceful simplicity and clear harmony of the line – in any case, it is difficult to take your eyes off such a wall.
- A bit of metallic. Smooth wallpaper with shimmer looks casual and, at the same time, gives the interior an exceptional, modern chic.
- Wallpaper with the texture of stone rocks. In 2021, the 3D effect is dedicated to marble and onyx textures – a delightful solution to redefine the classics with a modern twist.
- Floral print and textile texture. If Art Nouveau, French country, and English style are still close to you, then you will find wonderful options in the trending range of wallpapers.
- Terrazzo and Dalmatian. Color and black and white variations on the theme of speckled prints significantly expand the living room space and set a particular rhythm.
- The luxury of retro-modern. Wallpaper with a spectacular abstract pattern will create an atmosphere of sophistication and mystery in the living room, decorated in the art deco style.
Living Room Furniture Trends 2021
The answer to what furniture can be considered ideal for a fashionable living room interior is unambiguous; the most comfortable, cozy, and relaxing. For those for whom aesthetics is equally important, the designers have focused on the following solutions:
- Moderate and small volumes;
- Rounded shapes – corner sofas with flowing lines and intricately carved coffee tables;
- Lightweight rattan wicker furniture;
- Many metal parts and elements;
- Open natural textures of frames and upholstery – linen, wool, silk, bamboo, cotton;
- Original spot decor – as a discreet accent detail;
- Vintage furniture – no more than 1-2 per room.
Living Room Lighting Trends In 2021
By proposing new solutions for 2021, the designers show a frigid attitude towards volumetric ceiling lamps and chandeliers and propose the development of complex, multi-level lighting scenarios in which functionality is inseparable from decorativeness. The list of techniques for their implementation is quite functional:
- Lamps made of striking natural materials – wood, marble, satin-finished gold, steel, and brass;
- Grouped ceiling suspension for light zoning;
- Track lights for changing the directions of light beams at will or if necessary;
- Exclusive wall lamps in the form of glowing ribbons and figures;
- Floor lamps of extraordinary shapes – located both pointwise and in a group composition;
- Sculptural and geometric lamps;
- Retro-style suspensions.
Living Room Decor Ideas 2021
Living room decoration is an opportunity to appreciate the endless number of solutions offered by designers and fashion brands. In the coming year, you can, if not completely change, then slightly refresh the interior using the following techniques:
- Mirrors in designer frames – single or grouped, located in areas that need to be visually expanded;
- Decorative cushions in contrasting colors and textures of various sizes;
- Voluminous and textured blankets casually thrown on a sofa or chair;
- High floor vases with imitation of stone rocks, possibly repeating the surface of the walls;
- Vintage items – antique chandeliers and lamps, coffee tables, clocks, and figurines;
- Large abstract posters and collages.
Living Room Curtain Trends 2021
Window textiles in a modern living room are a key solution that combines practicality and aesthetics. Thanks to the curtains; you can not only control the flow of sunlight in the room but also finally balance the interior. In 2021, it is proposed to do this using the following options:
- Light sheer organza and voile curtains;
- Dense monochrome curtains laid in straight folds – in contrast to the color of the walls or darker by 1-2 tones;
- Linen and cotton curtains with the most natural texture and color;
- Minimalistic floral prints – a godsend for modern and Scandinavian style;
- Light unobtrusive brushes or small pom-poms.
Living Room Flooring Trends 2021
The designers borrow the texture, color, and materials of the living room flooring from the outgoing season. If you have not yet had time to join the current trends, it’s time to take a closer look at the following floor design options:
- Natural wooden flooring – possibly with an aged or brushed effect;
- Marble or terrazzo tiles – or natural stone;
- Porcelain stoneware with concrete effect – for loft and minimalism;
- Tiles imitating onyx, limestone, and travertine;
- Matte wood-like laminate.
Living Room Carpet Trends 2021
Despite the militant minimalism, it will not be possible to do without carpets in the living room’s interior in 2021. For designers, they have become a real must-have of the upcoming season. However, the hottest options are quite impressive:
- Stylish carpet tiles;
- Fluffy plain rugs in small sizes;
- Lint-free carpets with subtle geometric prints;
- Wall-to-wall carpets;
- Carpets with a plush texture.
- Strict and precise geometric shapes.
The color scheme is as close to neutral as possible – natural beige, blue, brown, gray, and less often white tones.
RELATED: How To Decorate With Sheepskin Rug
Small Living Room Trends 2021
Great news for owners of small living rooms; in the coming year, designers offer many ideas for a compact and stylish room arrangement. So, you can safely adopt the following design ideas:
- Combining the living room and kitchen;
- The use of sliding doors and glass partitions for zoning;
- Light translucent curtains for more light and airflow;
- Airy watercolor tones, slightly diluted with dark accents;
- Furniture with precise geometric shapes;
- Vertical decor;
- Raised ceilings;
- Ergonomic, possibly hidden ceiling and wall lights.
2021 Living Room Trends
Interior experts and psychologists are sure: the design of a living room can tell a lot about the owners; it can be used to judge your tastes, habits, lifestyle, and even mood. In 2021, you can tell whatever you want about yourself; in unique combinations of pure natural colors, expressive lines, and unusual, but dear to your heart details.