Understanding Vachetta Leather Handbags
Vachetta Leather: Dig Deeper– This type of leather is untreated and commonly used in the trimmings of luggage and handbags, popularized by designer Louis Vuitton. Since this leather is untreated, it’s therefore susceptible to water and stains. It’s highly problematic to maintain. Sunlight will cause the natural leather to darken in shade, called a “patina.” This effect is a beautiful development that makes Vachetta leather such a unique and desirable material.
Vachetta leather handbags are the most beautiful and the most problematic of all conventional leathers. Vachetta is premium cowhide leather used by the top brands, and usually only in their most prestigious collections. It has a buttery soft appearance that just melts against your skin. The Vachetta story is a simple case of paying the price for having something beautiful.
Understanding Vachetta leather handbags:
- Vachetta comes from the most desirable part of the cowhide.
- What sets it apart from all other conventional leathers is its patina, a honey golden color that forms over time and regular use of the purse, primarily through the absorption of sunlight. But in order to understand how this unique effect occurs, you have to know how the hide is processed. It’s also the cause of Vachetta’s problematic care and cleaning.
- After skinning, the cowhide is tanned using vegetable dyes. These dyes give it the soft and smooth texture you feel when you touch it.
- Now here is where Vachetta differs from all other leathers. Normally, the next step in processing leather of any kind is the finishing stage. This is where the leather treated with moisturizing oils and coated with a sealant; that offers the leather some degree of protection from the elements, cleaners, and chemicals. Vachetta leather does NOT undergo this treatment. It’s virtually unprotected. Understanding this critical fact key to knowing how to handle your Vachetta purse.
- Without this finish, the untreated leather is extremely vulnerable to most things it comes into contact with. It’s prone to rapid aging, water stains and drying. But it also allows it to develop this rare and unique patina that is so appealing to the eye.
- Vachetta leather requires a high level of preventative measures to protect it from the many dangers it is susceptible to.
- Louis Vuitton is famous for its Vachetta line of purses. This is also a common brand for replicating so be sure to do a thorough evaluation when considering purchasing Vachetta leather purses online.
How to care for, clean and condition your Vachetta leather handbags:
- Do NOT use any leather soaps, cleaners or conditioners on Vachetta leather. Most of these products contain lanolin which will cause unprotected leather to darken rapidly.
- Denim transfer and a variety of other dry stains removed using an uncolored or natural pencil eraser. You’ll find this your only friend when it comes to cleaning Vachetta leather.
- The best defense is protecting it from spills, not placing it on the floor and other such considerations when in use. Prevention your best bet for keeping your Vachetta leather handbags looking their best.
- Grease and sweat from hands have a gradual darkening effect on the leather. If you observe the handles on used Vachetta leather handbags, you’ll notice how they’re darker than the rest of the purse.
- Over time, the natural patina will offer some protection against the elements.
- When not in use; be sure to store your Vachetta leather purse in a box or cotton dust bag. It needs to breathe. Never put any leather products into plastic bags.
- Don’t fold or stress the purse in any way. Allow it to rest naturally, with plenty of space and nothing sitting on top of it; pressing it under its weight.
- Tuck the strap inside, especially if there’s a chain or hardware on it. This will prevent it from scratching the leather.