Why We Love to Give Gifts
“It’s better to give than to receive.”
We’ve all heard that saying, but that doesn’t mean we truly believe it. Sure, it’s good to give a gift to someone else. We get the satisfaction of seeing their face light up and knowing that we have made them happy. But how could that possibly be better than receiving a gift yourself?
It turns out that the old proverb is more than just wishful thinking, though. Giving actually can be better than receiving, for a variety of reasons—and it’s a proven scientific fact.
‘Tis the Reason
We do give gifts—a lot. The total value of all gifts given in the U.S., including charitable donations and volunteering, exceeds half a trillion dollars each year.
Why do we give so much? There are several different reasons for giving gifts, including:
To show love.
Giving someone a gift expresses how much we care about them, in a way that goes beyond just words.
To show gratitude.
Gifts are often used to say “thank you” to people who have helped us out in some way.
To get something in return.
A gift may be given in hopes of getting something back, such as sending a gift to a business prospect when trying to score a sale.
To meet expectations.
Sometimes gifts are expected of us, such as when attending a wedding. We may then give a gift partly to avoid disappointing anyone.
To make a difference.
Charitable giving can be used to help a cause we care about, or to leave a legacy with our lives.
In each case, there is some (often small) benefit to the person giving the gift. But that is only part of the story.
Here’s some news that should add some additional cheer to your holiday shopping season: giving gifts to others can help make you happier, regardless of what you may get in return.
Surveys have shown that, all else being equal, people who give more are happier. For example, one study surveyed employees when they received a profit-sharing bonus. Those who spent more of the bonus on gifts for others reported an increase in happiness. Spending more money on things they wanted for themselves, though, had zero impact on how happy they felt.
“Giving your money to others instead of spending it on yourself provides a bigger happiness bang for your buck,” explained Elizabeth Dunn and Michael Norton, co-authors of the study and of the book Happy Money: The Science of Spending. “When you use your money to buy stuff for yourself, you’re leaving happiness on the table.”
The link between giving and happiness seems to hold true for everyone. Another massive study involving more than 230,000 people around the world found that people everywhere were happier when they gave more, regardless of culture or income differences.
Need another reason to be happy about giving? It appears that giving gifts is also good for your health, and can even help you live longer.
Research has shown that being generous with your money or time can improve immunity, reduce physical pain, and lower the risk of depression or heart disease. A five-year study in Detroit even discovered that people who helped others were better able to handle—and survive—stressful events in their own lives. Folks who lent a hand to those in need had a lower mortality rate than those who did not, and seemed to benefit more than the ones receiving the help.
The Chemistry of Giving
So how does the act of giving a gift manage to make us healthier and happier? It has a lot to do with chemistry—and your brain.
Stress hormones, which can make you tense and unhappy, tend to decrease when you give gifts. At the same time, the act of giving releases endorphins and dopamine within your brain. These natural chemicals are part of the body’s reward system, and are designed specifically to make you feel good.
That “warm glow” that you feel when giving a gift is a result of such changes to your brain chemistry. It is roughly the same effect that happens whenever you receive a gift yourself, and brain scans have shown that the pleasure received from giving something away is just as strong as when you receive that gift yourself.
Wired to Give
We all know people who are more generous by nature, and others who tend to be more of a Scrooge. Scientists have sought to understand why this is the case. What they’ve found is that the size of your gifts is partly determined by the size of one part of your brain.
There is an area of the brain located just behind the top of your right ear known as the right temporoparietal junction, or TPJ. The TPJ plays a role in moral judgments and emotional processing, such as understanding how another person must be feeling or seeing things from their point of view.
A study from the University of Zurich found that people with a larger right TPJ were typically willing to spend more money on gifts or charitable donations. Brain activity in the TPJ also seemed to signal when people had reached their giving limit, or the maximum amount they felt comfortable giving. Though that’s not the only factor in how generous people are, it does seem that this small section of the brain plays a role in determining whether someone loves to give.
All of this talk about brain structure and the benefits of giving does raise the question of whether giving a gift is actually an unselfish act. If it truly is better to give than to receive, then aren’t we really motivated to give because it benefits us?
According to many psychologists, the answer is, surprisingly, “yes.” We give gifts because of what we get out of the transaction.
However, there is no reason why that should put a damper on your giving spirit. If anything, it should inspire you to give more, since it brings joy to both the recipient and the giver. So, go ahead and splurge on that Christmas gift, or send an unexpected bouquet to your loved one “just because.” If we all gave (and received) a little more, the world would be a happier place.
surveyed employees when they received a profit-sharing bonus. Those who spent more of the bonus on gifts for others reported an increase in happiness. Spending more money on things they wanted for themselves, though, had zero impact on how happy they felt.
Gift Guide – You May Like our Picked Gifts
- Made of genuine leather with a metal buckle and a smooth finish, these sharp looking Barbados Leather belts are classy and comfortable. Get them both for just $8.99!
- With these extra-long braided cables from Mobile Kingdom, you’ll finally be able to stop running back and forth between your charger and your bed, couch or office chair. They’re available in 1,2, and 3 packs, starting at just $5.99.
- Discover the new Tous Kaos Shock Color bag and combine the different, colored tote bags with reversible bags. Get a gift with your purchase of $150+ through 3/31.
- These two-toned oval frames feature a semi-transparent espresso tortoiseshell finish melded with creamy white. Get ready for Spring with blooming deals at EyeBuyDirect.com! Save up to 50% through March 26th on Spring’s best looks, no promo code required.
- The Tous Vermeil Silver Super Power Bracelet with Gemstones is the perfect item to splurge on with your tax return! Get a gift with your purchase of $150+ through 3/31.
- We all know the best things in life are free. At Hilton, that includes a complimentary drink upon arrival and in-room breakfast for two. So grab your friends or significant other and escape in style.
- Introduced in 2018, Mexico wears a retro design inspired by the 1994 home jersey, considered by many to be the country’s best! Get free shipping on soccer.com on 2018 World Cup Jerseys with the code FSWC18 through 3/31/18.
- Keep things clean and simple with these FitFlop classic sneakers, or add the detachable double fringe for a stand-out style statement. Spring style steals are up to 30% off, plus take an extra 20% using the code EXTRA20.
- Show some California love with these classic aviator sunglasses. Get ready for Spring with blooming deals at EyeBuyDirect.com! Save up to 50% through March 26th on Spring’s best looks, no promo code required.
- Looking to save some money while doing your taxes this year? Save up to 35% off H&R Block software!
- Built for speed, the new Mercurial Superfly 6 Elite is born and bred to be fast. Worn by Cristiano Ronaldo, the Mercurial Superfly is the perfect addition to help take your game to the next level.
- Looking to take a vacation to escape the stress of filing your taxes on time? If you join the Hilton Honors program you’ll instantly get access to benefits such as points toward free nights, free wifi, and more!
- No matter how you plan to file your taxes this year, H&R Block has you covered. Take up to $25 off H&R Block online products!
- Adorned with glossy crystals, these Delta sandals from FitFlop will take you from day to evening in comfort and style. Spring style steals are up to 30% off, plus take an extra 20% using the code EXTRA20.
More Gifts Ideas
- Your next trip could be twice as rewarding with the 2X Points Package when you book your stay at any participating Hilton Hotels & Resorts.
- This Fresh Sugar Scented Candle offers a beautiful blend of citrus and caramel for a bright scent. It is made with a premium, lead-free wick and a combination of the finest natural oils and waxes to ensure a clean burn and even fragrance dispersal. Get it a JCPenney and take 30% off when you spend $100 or more, or an extra 25% off purchases under $100.
- Can’t decide which dress to wear to your next special occasion? Let Black Halo ease your mind and give you a little extra comfort in the Lena jumpsuit. The clean lines and flirtatious neckline make this the perfect choice all year round!
- This unique natural salt lamp from JCPenney is hand carved from crystalline salt formations found in the Himalayan Mountains. When lit, this lamp releases negative ions that are thought to cleanse the air of impurities. Plus, take 30% off when you spend $100 or more, or an extra 25% off purchases under $100.
- Looking to get away this spring? Sandals is running great Easter promotions including a $250 spa credit!
- From the gym to the office, hang this RYU Quick Pack anywhere! The unique drop front design opens for easy packing, organizing, and accessing your gear.
- The moment you slip on Black Halo’s Classic Jackie O Dress, you’ll instantly know why it’s their most popular silhouette. It is timeless and sophisticated with a flattering draped neckline, pencil length skirt, and a genuine leather belt to cinch the waist.
- Spring is here! Whether you’re prepping awesome DIY décor for wedding season, cheering your athlete on during the big game or giving graduation gifts everyone will enjoy, Fathead Custom Big Heads have you covered. Start customizing yours for only $29.99!
- Celebrate the season with a free Tous Super Power Notebook with any purchase of $150 or more!
- When it’s time for a getaway, Hilton offers unique travel packages and hotel discounts! Give yourself the getaway you deserve with a $50 credit daily credit on your next trip.
- This RYU Vapor Long Sleeve shirt has engineered mesh zones that aid airflow. The seamless technology reduces extra fabric and bulk, creating an ultra lightweight garment.
- Last but not least, Jewelry at DJooli you can shop vintage jewelry, sterling silver, Pearl and high quality brand watches
Best Products Picked
Burt's Bees Essential Everyday Beauty Gift Set, 5 Travel Size Products - Deep Cleansing Cream, Hand Salve, Body Lotion, Foot Cream and Lip Balm
- SKIN CARE PRODUCTS: Pamper from head to toe with this giftable set including 5 travel size Burt's Bees favorites: Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream, Hand Salve, Milk & Honey Body Lotion, Coconut Foot Cream and Beeswax Lip Balm.
- HANDS & FEET: Coconut Foot Cream and Beeswax Hand Salve restore, dry skin to moisturize and soften hands and feet.
- BODY & FACE: Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream, Milk and Honey Body Lotion and Beeswax Lip Balm moisturize lips, face and body.
- ALL NATURAL: Made with natural ingredients, these Burt's Bees skin care trial products are formulated to condition and hydrate skin all day long.
- BURTS BEES GIFT SET: This gift set includes 5 favorite Burt's Bees skin care products that come in a giftable box perfect for stocking stuffers during the holidays to nourish skin during the harsh winter months.
Amazon.com $20 Gift Card in a Greeting Card (Amazon Icons Design)
- Gift Card is affixed inside a blank greeting card with a separate mailing envelope
- Gift Card has no fees and no expiration date
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards
- Gift Card is redeemable towards millions of items storewide at Amazon.com
- Scan and redeem any Gift Card with a mobile or tablet device via the Amazon App
Fever-Tree Variety Gift Box
- No high fructose corn syrup
- No artificial flavorings, colors, or preservatives
- The award winning Fever-tree range is made with the finest and most authentic natural ingredients available in subtle botanical flavors, natural juices, soft spring water, cane sugar and for the tonic waters and bitter lemon the highest quality quinine from the cinchona tree. This Fever-tree gift pack offers a sample bottle of each variety in the Fever-tree and ranges are tonic water, naturally light tonic water, club soda, bitter lemon, ginger ale, and ginger beer. Perfect for the cocktail enthusiast and novice alike, there’s something for everyone in this Fever-tree gift pack.
The Body Shop Mango Festive Picks Small Gift Set
- Mango Shower Gel 250ml: soap-free, lather-rich, made with mango seed oil
- Travel sized Mango Body Scrub 50ml: soft textured scrub made with exfoliating salt grains and Community Trade cane sugar
- Travel sized Mango Body Butter 50ml: up to 24 hours of intense moisture
- Mango Soap 100g: 100% vegan
- Mini Bath Lily
Burt's Bees Hand Repair Gift Set, 3 Hand Creams plus Gloves - Almond Milk Hand Cream, Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream, Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream
- GIFTS FOR HER: Pamper someone you love with this giftable hand spa kit including Almond Milk Hand Cream, Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream and Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream, plus 1 pair of cotton gloves.
- HAND CREAM: These two ultra-rich, naturally moisturizing Burt's Bees Hand Creams repair tough, dried out skin from the harsh winter months.
- CUTICLE CREAM: Burt's Bees Cuticle Cream revitalizes torn, rough cuticles to moisturize and sooth hangnails for soft, smooth hands.
- ALL NATURAL: Made with natural ingredients, these Burt's Bees hand products are formulated with sweet almond oil, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera and botanical oils.
- BURTS BEES GIFT SET: This gift set includes 3 moisturizing hand products and one pair of cotton gloves in a giftable organza pouch perfect for stocking stuffers during the holidays or for the beauty enthusiast.