Why You Should Use Natural Shampoo
Natural and eco-friendly products are becoming increasingly popular amongst the health and environmentally conscious shoppers of today. This new age craze also extends itself to hair care; the never-ending struggle of maintaining healthy hair has posed to be a problem; and constant battle among many people today.
They are starting to realise that this is potentially the result of continuous exposure of harmful chemicals to the hair. With people becoming more aware of how natural products can positively affect our lives; they are making the switch and opting for safer and healthier options.
Natural shampoos contain beneficial natural plant and herb extracts; which provide a number of positive results for the hair and scalp. You can enjoy these natural benefits and maintain healthy hair; without having to put your body at risk by exposing it to harmful chemicals.
Benefits of using natural shampoos are outlined as follows:
- Promotes new hair growth by naturally stimulating the hair follicles
- Infuses natural oils, minerals, and herbal extracts into hair follicles to maintain moisture and improving the overall condition
- Because it contains all natural ingredients it is a non-allergenic product which makes it suitable for all skin types including sensitive and allergy prone skin
- Natural shampoos feature a more natural and mild aroma
- They are environmentally friendly as they contain bio-degradable materials rather than harsh chemicals
A general rule of thumb for choosing natural shampoos is to make sure the label does not contain more than 9 ingredients; products with more are most likely to contain harmful synthetic ingredients. Some natural products state they are organic however this is not always the case.
Try looking for the following natural ingredients:
- Coconut oil and aloe Vera have been proven to stimulate the growth of hair by keeping the scalp moisturized
- Organic Shea butter enhances the natural shine and colour of hair
- Beta glucan contains immune-enhancing qualities which help to soothe irritated skin cells
- Organic tea tree oil contains antiseptic properties which help to maintain the health of the scalp by preventing skin irritations
Regular shampoo can wreak havoc on not only our hair; but also our bodies. it contains harmful and synthetic chemicals that absorbed through the skins pores; we putt ourselves at risk by directly applying carcinogenic chemicals into the scalp.
By doing this on a regular basis we are basically inviting these dangerous ingredients in to damage our system; and potentially putting ourselves at risk of cancer and disease. Ingredients typically contained in regular shampoos proven to reduce the size of hair follicles; irritate and disrupt oil glands, dry out the scalp; which ultimately can result in hair loss.
When choosing your hair care products; you should try to avoid products containing the following ingredients:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfates
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
- Mureth Sulfate
- Derivatives of Lauryl Alcohol
- Mureth Sulfate
- Propylene Glycol (Antifreeze)
- Olefin Sulfonate (Deodorized Kerosene)
Choosing a natural shampoo that’s right for you and your hair can be difficult. For help picking the best one for you, read the best natural shampoos
The Top 5 Best Natural Shampoos
Having beautiful hair is important to most of us, but with so many toxins in our environment, using name brands can add even more to the toxic “soup” that flows into our water supplies. Many of the chemicals used in traditional shampoos can be absorbed through the skin, adding to the toxic load our bodies carry and negatively impacting our health.
Natural shampoos are a much better option, with only natural ingredients to nourish the hair and scalp. There are many shampoos that claim to be “natural,” but without regulations specifying what that means on a label, many companies simply add a few herbs or extracts and claim to be a “natural shampoo.” Only a few brands actually use only natural ingredients with no nasty little surprises for the unwary, and this list includes the best of them.
The Top 5 Best Natural Shampoos
The best way to protect the health of both humans and the environment is to choose shampoos with natural ingredients. Depending on what you want your shampoo to do, look for the following ingredients:
- Moisturize: Papaya, mango, tangerine, cactus extract, cucumber, artichoke
- Make hair look thicker: Lemongrass, chamomile, calendula, vitamin B, wheat, rice, or soy protein
- Add highlights: Lemongrass, green tea, chamomile, calendula, lemon, grapefruit
- Prevent product buildup: Wheatgrass
- Nourish damaged hair: Lavender, calendula, nettle, sage, yucca, goldenseal, carrot seed
- Promote hair growth: Cucumber, hops
- Detangle: Marigold, sweet clover, passionflower
- Add body and bounce: Rosemary, basil, sage
- Soothe and prevent scalp conditions: Burdock root, chamomile, echinacea, green tea, honey, horse chestnut, peppermint, thyme, tea tree oil, eucalyptus
Best Natural Shampoos – Hair Moisturizer
Desert Essence, Shampoo, Nourishing for Dry Hair, Coconut
Cleans hair really well and you only need a small amount, great value for money. Bring back shine and health to over-processed, dry hair. Infused with Coconut Oil to provide intense moisture, smooth frizzies, and restore hair’s natural luster. With continued use, hair looks revived, strong, and healthy.
Massage into wet hair, lather, and rinse thoroughly. For best results, follow with Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner.
- 100% Vegan/Wheat & Gluten Free
- Cruelty Free and Biodegradable Formula
- No Animal Testing of Raw Materials or Finished Product
- No Phosphates
- Leaping Bunny
Giovanni, Smooth As Silk, Deep Moisture Shampoo
The elements of earth, wind, fire and water represent a unique combination of certified organic botanicals and incredible style.
Soft and smooth, sexy and sultry! It’s how you feel when you have silk against your skin. Now imagine that same feel in your hair. Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo a pearlized formula that glistens in your hand and transforms your hair into a silky palette. New and improved formulation with Apple and Aloe extracts; provide antioxidant protection and enhanced moisturizers for even silkier hair. Lather and glow with the flow that begins your style. Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo wears beautifully on you.
- Eco Chic Technology
- For Damaged Hair
- Eco Chic Hair Care
- Beauty from the Elements is Chic on the Street
Enriched with grapefruit, apple and aloe extracts plus vegetable protein to soothe dry or damaged hair, control frizz, add shine
Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo with Eco Chic Technology+
- Luxurious lather soothes dry, chemically processed hair
- Cleanses gently for manageable smoothness
- Calms unruly hair to alleviate frizz
- Increases shine while smoothing dry or damaged hair
- Lauryl and laureth sulfate free
Best Natural Shampoo for This Hair – Make Hair Thicker
Avalon Organics, Thickening Shampoo, Biotin B-Complex Therapy
Massaging through wet hair creates a rich, cleansing lather. Following with Biotin B-Complex Thickening Conditioner after rinsing produces the best results.
- Avena Sativa
- NSF Certified
- For An Energized Scalp and Thicker, Fuller Hair
- pH Balanced
- Certified by QAI to NSF/ANSI
A carefully balanced blend of biotin, saw palmetto, quinoa protein and vitamin E work in harmony to:
- Help build body in fine, thinning hair
- Stimulate the scalp to encourage hair growth
- Cleanse and nourish hair from follicle through entire shaft
- Strengthen hair strands
The result: hair that feels thicker and softer with added volume
Nature’s Gate, Biotin + Bamboo Shampoo,
Nature’s Gate, a trusted alternative for healthy hair. Your cleansing routine just got more responsible. The Biotin & Bamboo Shampoo gently cleanses hair with a unique blend of Biotin, Bamboo, and Pro-vitamin B5. It is ideal for thin damaged hair!
- For Thin Hair
- No Nasties!
- Certified Gluten Free
- Paraben Free
- Soy Free
- Cruelty Free
Best Natural Shampoo – To Promote Hair Growth
Mild By Nature, Thickening B-Complex + Biotin Shampoo by Madre Labs, No Sulfates, Citrus Squeeze
The Mild By Nature Thickening Shampoo is fortified with Biotin; Panthenol, Quinoa and Flax Proteins; plus Vicia Faba seed and Loquat Leaf extracts for thicker, fuller, healthier looking hair. This therapeutic shampoo is pH-balanced; cruelty free contains no “no-no’s”: no GMOs, no sulfates, and parabens.
Citrus Squeeze Featured Botanicals: Grapefruit, Aloe Vera, Lavender, Orange, Bergamot, Loquat, Quinoa, Flax, Geranium, Lemon, Sage, Apple, Vanilla, Patchouli, Vicia faba, Sunflower.
- Mild by Nature by Madre Labs
- Gentle and Nourishing for Everyday Use!
- Formulated with only the good stuff.
- Non-Toxic – Made in the USA
- Fortified with B-Complex, Biotin & Botanicals
- Formulated For Thicker, Fuller, Healthier Looking Hair
The Top 5 Best Natural Shampoos
All of these companies provide excellent products; and any of their natural shampoos are a good, economical choice. I have chosen to focus on these specific shampoos because they each provide a particular benefit not normally associated with a natural product. Most of us think of natural shampoos as basic cleansers and don’t look for specialty shampoos among them. These will provide excellent results for you while preventing exposure to the harsh, toxic chemicals found in most name-brand products.